In the Shade, Tea in Hand
Our daily writing prompt from Poetic Asides reads “Write a shady poem—Open interpretation” or words to that effect. You can see some of the possibilities here, can’t you?
No time to waste today on exposition. Let’s get to the poetry! Enjoy yourselves!
She came in from the green field,
Ready but not willing to yield
To his warmed hands that awaited,
Nor would she stand, breath abated.
Instead, she called a long wavering note,
Seeming to cast her sole possible vote,
Concerning continual molesters of his ilk,
Saying “No!” to his stripping of her milk.
No anger answered her call, only sweet talk
To reassure her of his rightness, “No need to balk.”
She listened to his whispers, guided to her stall.
Once there she relaxed, finally willing to give all.
Shy, elusive, scuttling from leaf to leaf,
She listens, wary, knowing missteps cost
More than her own life, her children’s.
Freeze; eyeballs only, scan for foes.
Birdsong allows for exhale amid
Thundering heartbeats; too long,
Gone too long, but close, very close.
Another length of ground gained,
Fast beneath the canopy, taking
Advantage of each dark haven
That hides the path home.
One tree between her and sanctuary,
She gathers strength and speeds toward
Those she nurtures within the hollow
Of her heart and beneath the pawpaw.
Safe, all safe!
Little ones gather round, nudging, seeking.
Onto the floor she spits out seeds, gathered
with care for this second feeding of the day.
She’ll endure fear and fatigue to mother them all.
© Claudette J. Young 2012
- NaBloPoMo Poetry Contest: Villanelles (blogher.com)
- NaBloPoMo Poetry Contest: Sestinas (blogher.com)
- A Celebration of Poets & Poetry (theartsroom.org)
Liebster Blog Award
- RT @BeccaBesser: #FF @astradaemon @Xirconnia @Claudsy1 @DavidYoungquis1 @Kevinmfilms @davidjmoodyWriting for your life 5 months ago
- 2voices1song.com/2016/08/01/the… fb.me/HSYxm57cWriting for your life 7 months ago
- The Stardust Equation 2voices1song.com/2016/08/01/the… https://t.co/F7PI4PmbEzWriting for your life 7 months ago
- I'm finally getting my work life act together after the disasters of Feb. and March. And about time, too.... fb.me/4XoVz8fSCWriting for your life 10 months ago
- #APRPAD: Day 8 – Transcendent Flower 2voices1song.com/2016/04/12/apr…Writing for your life 11 months ago
Readers On Claudsy
|Claudsy on November Insanity Begins …|
|Stephane Hemmer on November Insanity Begins …|
|Claudsy on It’s a Cluster Out There|