When Robert Brewer posted his poem prompt for today, it led me on a short mental journey, as prompts are wont to do. His instructions read something like this. Day 12 Prompt: Take phrase “Something (blank), fill-in blank with another phrase or word, use as title, and write poem.
My mind is one, perhaps like yours, that will begin in Poughkeepsie, then hop the mental freeway, and before I know it, I’m looking down the throat of the Grand Canyon. That’s what happened this morning.
I saw the word “Something…” and immediately hit on the wedding tradition, “Something Borrowed.” That led me to things we’re likely to borrow from one another, returned and unreturned, cared for while in our possession or treated badly, with little or no respect for their value. That took me to some of the things that we worry about now.
And the following poem is the result of that mental drive I took in the 30 seconds or less from the time I saw the prompt.
Dawn brought its light,
Moon brought darkness,
We brought ourselves,
Grasping, clinging to life.
Our days began when
Dawn brought its light,
Showing us the work
Awaiting our hands, minds.
We rested at day’s end when
Moon brought darkness.
We labored throughout
An off-chance of success.
Time flowed as time does.
We brought ourselves
To this, our future,
Where alarms sound loud.
Our future now seems stark,
Grasping, clinging to life,
Watching our destruction
Return to show its legacy.
I hope you enjoyed today’s effort. Drop a comment here, if the spirit moved you. Come back later for the rest of Robert Brewer’s manic poetry gauntlet in a separate Poem Form Challenge.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Liebster Blog Award
- Mind-Blowing Spinning Chocolate Illusion | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen screen.yahoo.com/mind-blowing-s… via @YahooScreen Have to watch this.Writing for your life 1 day ago
- Take a spin around the universe. There are answers out there, but do they satisfy the questions? That's the thing.... fb.me/Lr4YpRu1Writing for your life 1 day ago
- Thought Ripples: Atoms and Space wp.me/p2rZMK-2rxWriting for your life 1 day ago
- Once an Okie, always connected. That's our story and yesterday was a test of endurance.... fb.me/2v49qwNinWriting for your life 4 days ago
- Claudsy’s Blog: Taking Stock wp.me/p2rZMK-2rfWriting for your life 4 days ago
Readers On Claudsy
|claudsy on Lyrical Prose or Prose Po…|
|Jolene on Lyrical Prose or Prose Po…|
|claudsy on Fan Fiction or Fun Pastim…|